The GAPS Diet and GUT HEALTH
Designed by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, it is based on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). GAPS is not a diet but a protocol focussing on a lifestyle change. This protocol is designed to heal and seal a damaged gut (a 'leaky gut') which focuses on healing cognitive and physical disorders such as autism, ADHD, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, IBS, Crohn's disease, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, skin rashes, acne, fatigue, and so...much...more.
This protocol focuses on:
- Moving away from a processed diet to a wholefood diet
- Consumption of fermented foods, fermented dairy, meat stocks, meat and organ meats, healthy fats, vegetables, poultry, eggs, fish oils
- Restriction of carbohydrates like grains and starchy vegetables (the idea is to remove these foods not because they are unhealthy, but because in a damaged gut these foods can be harsh on the gut to digest and slow down the healing process)
- Reducing stress!!!, supporting proper detoxification and getting sunshine
- Focussing on homemade, preferably organic or spray-free, grass-fed and free-range produce and cooking
Want to work with a qualified GAPS Practitioner?
If you have heard of the GAPS Diet and are wanting to take steps to resolving digestive, mental and autoimmune disease, than get in touch with our Integrative Nutritionist and GAPS Practitioner, Elyse Comerford, today.